From September 12 to 18, 2012, I’ll be joining the New Tactics online community for an online dialogue on Cultural Resistance: The arts of protest.
Cultural resistance is the broad use of arts, literature, and traditional practices to challenge or fight unjust or oppressive systems and/or power holders within the context of nonviolent actions, campaigns and movements. At its core, cultural resistance is a way of reclaiming our humanity, and celebrating our work as individuals and communities. Cultural resistance tactics are particularly powerful because they serve multiple purposes. They inspire us to own our lives and invest in our communities, while building capacity for local leadership. These creative and artistic tactics provide a fun way for people to get involved!
This dialogue will be an opportunity to explore the creative ways that cultural resistance can support human rights efforts and to exchange examples of successes.
The featured resource practitioners committed to help lead this dialogue include:
- Nadine Bloch (dialogue partner) – Creative Resistance & Direct Action Educator and Practitioner, United States
- Mike Klein – Clinical Faculty in Justice and Peace Studies at the University of St Thomas and muralist specializing in community-based projects, United States
- Jane McPherson – Tallahassee’s lead organizer for One Million Bones, United States
- Annie Sloman – Community Cultural Development and International Development Practioner based in Timor Leste & Indonesia
- Jessie Boylan – Artist and activist using video and photography, Australia
- Celia Turley – Artist and activist using video, United Kingdom
- Teresa Camou – Artist, activist and puppetista, Mexico
- Noam Leshem – Lecturer in Human Geography at Royal Holloway, University of London, United Kingdom
- Ivan Marovic is one of the founders of Otpor, student resistance movement that played a critical role in the downfall of Slobodan Milosevic in 2000, Serbia
- TextaQueen – Artist and activist using felt-tip markers to explore the politics of sex, gender and identity, Australia
- Yousef Awad – Director of the Jenin Creative Cultural Center, Palestinian Territory
- Jasmine Melvin-Koushki – Curator at Alhoush House of Arab Art and Design, Jordan
- Sidd Joag and Todd Lester of freeDimensional, United States
- Janelle Treibitz and Susanna Duncan of Puppet Underground, United States